Could Music be the Answer?

As you can imagine, I get asked numerous times a day, "How you doin'?" I appreciate each and every person who asks, but I'm not sure how to respond.

My life has been flipped inside out. My wife and best friend is no longer here. I understand there is no good thing to say.

I have told many friends and well wishers that the mornings and evenings are the toughest times. There isn't really a reason to go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, unless, of course, I am working or have an appointment of some kind.  I understand you have to go on, you have to get on with your life. Easier said than done.

Last night, or actually early this morning, (the clock on the ceiling said 5:07), and I was wide awake and didn't want to be. Thank God for Alexa!

I asked my Amazon device to play Sirius Classic Vinyl and the DJ was basically telling a story about the next song. She mentioned Todd Rundgren produced the song "Baby Blue", for the group Badfinger back in 1971.  The DJ said it was used in the closing scene of the final episode of Breaking Bad, which I also watched religiously. I'm a big Todd fan and knew the song, but never really listened to the lyrics. I did this morning and so much related to my relationship with Pat.

The next tune was "Got To Get You Into My Life" by The Beatles. You probably know those lyrics and they were fitting, as well.

I have always been a big music fan and have a huge record collection, (looking to buy a new turntable), more CDs than I can keep track of and several IPODs and digital music devices and now, ALEXA!

Music brings me back to the great times Pat and I had and then there are songs like "In Case You Didn't Know" by Brett Young, which I tear up at every time I hear it.

After last week's blog, I know how Pat's death has affected so many people because she was the most selfless, giving, kindest person you likely ever had the chance to meet.


Not happy after MediVan door wouldn't close
forcing us to wait another 45 minutes


 Maybe it's music and it's happy and sad songs that can get us past this initial pain we are experiencing and to remember the good and not-so-good times that we may have experienced with my love.  If nothing else, we can get lost in the music, the lyrics and remember the good times each song brings you back to. Your first dates, special occasions, great times with your friends and buddies.


Sports has been a big outlet for me, thank goodness, because that's my job at ESPN 1000. I love talking about why the Bears are so bad and how the young Bulls should be better, how the White Sox need to make some big signings this off season.

We will all deal with our losses in our own way. If it's music or putting your feelings down on paper or blogs, great.

I went to lunch with a guy a week or so ago and when he came down from his office and saw me he said, "There is nothing I can say...Just give me a hug!" That was great. I'm a big "hugs" guy. That's all I need.

If you see me, give me a hug. I'm here for you if you need one, as well.

Now about those Bears...

(When I worked at "that other sports station" I used to do a solo half hour before college basketball play-by-play. My buddy, Dan McNeil used to call it, "Fred's stream of consciousness radio." My blogs are done the same way)


Comments

  1. Keep a song in your heart, Fred. You know Pat would want it that way. Hugs to you, my friend. XO, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense. Did Pat go to all those concerts with you? Did she have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment