How Did I Get So Lucky?

I know. Strange title for a blog from a guy who just lost his wife a little over two months ago, but stay with me.

All men think they have married the perfect woman. Their soul mate. The one they have been looking for their entire lives. The lady that will make them happy forever.

Us guys are so dumb. We are just fortunate to find ANY individual that could put up with us. A person that could overlook our, no doubt, many faults.

I wasn't looking for a life partner back in the late 70's, but that's what I found. Little did I know at the time what I was getting when I met and eventually married Pat. (I asked her once what attracted her to me and she said the way I dressed. She saw me as a fashion challenge.)

Many men will say they are married to the best woman around. I am one of them, but she wasn't just the best woman. She turned out to be the best and nicest person I have ever met.

Since her passing in October, I have talked with, dined with and cried with many of her friends and I still can't find anyone to say anything bad about the woman.

Not only did Pat make my life as easy as it has been, but apparently she was placed on this Earth to make everyone feel better. About themselves, their situation, whatever it may be.

One of her friends said that she met Pat in First Grade. She moved into the school in the middle of the year and on Day One, was feeling all alone. New school, no friends. At a break, she was sitting by herself when a little girl came up to her and asked, "Are you sad?" She said, "yes, it's my first day and I don't have any friends". The little girl told the new student, "I'll be your friend. My name is Pat!" She later asked when the new girl's birthday was, and when she said March, Pat said, "Mine, Too! We're going to be best friends!" Damn! Pat was that nice all the way back in first grade.

The stories go on and on.

After she passed, one of her many doctors came up to her hospital room to pay his respects and said the first day he saw Pat, they bonded immediately. (It was an Italian thing!) He said Pat asked if he had children and he said he had a couple in high school. Pat, being the life long educator, asked what interests they had and what colleges they were thinking of. The doctor filled her in and next time she saw him, she had a printout of schools and suggestions for each of them.

So many of her friends tell me that almost daily they have something happen, or something they think of, that they want to pick up the phone and tell Pat. Several friends say they miss their long chats on the phone. Some called on their way home from work or after they put the kids to bed, or right before they called it a night. Pat was a great listener and always loved her calls from her many friends and co-workers.

I was married to a Saint!

It is difficult each day missing my love and her friends and family are having a difficult time as well.

The quotes are out there:

"It's better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all."

"Don't cry because it's over; Smile because it happened"

I was the lucky one. I got to spend 38 years with one of the nicest, most lovely people that has ever walked this Earth. She left an impression on everyone she met and her absence affects all that had met her.

If you had the chance to know Pat, think about the fun times, her laugh, the special times you may have spent with her. She tried to make everyone happy and to feel better about themselves and it seems like she accomplished that goal.

During this Holiday season, she would want us all to enjoy one another and love the ones you are with.

So now, I hope you understand how I could ask, "How did I get so lucky?"


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. The universe divulged how much you are loved by putting you and Pat together. Peace always, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment