One Down, Two to Go!

I know, I'm the "sports guy". Some of you come here to read about the Bears winning three of four as they prepare for a Thursday Night tilt with the Cowboys.

Others may want to hear about the undefeated DePaul Blue Demons, after an overtime thriller at Wintrust Arena and a 9-0 record after beating Texas Tech.

And then there are those "soccer heads" who might want my opinion of the Chicago Fire rebrand, who their next coach will be and how they will start the season with road matches in Seattle and New England.

I promise, I will get "back to the ole sportseroo!", (Courtesy of Doug Buffone), soon.

Until then, I continue to navigate my way through life without my wife. Thirty eight years married, forty one years together and now, the holidays without my lovely Pat.

It should come to the surprise of no one that I am not a huge fan of the holidays. Believe it or not, I don't enjoy sitting around a table of way too much food and then picking on desserts and beverages all night. I know, looking at me, you would think that would be just my thing.

Pat always planned Thanksgiving Day dinner. Since her father passed, we had made the turkey, hosted sometimes, but lately have brought much of the food to my mother-in-laws, who has a difficult time getting around.

This year, my brother-in-law, and his significant other, did most of the planning and cooking.

Pat was likely shaking her head as she looked down as the 2:30 scheduled dinner time move passed the 3:00 hour. Appetizers were then served and the lateness of the dinner was now a little easier to take.

After dinner and desserts, we came back to my house and were able to relax and talk more about all of us getting through the day and the season without Pat being around.

I have made an effort to gather many of Pat's winter coats and purses and had her friends stop by periodically to take some if they would like. Pat loved purses and many of her friends had a story behind many of the twenty five or so that I spread out on the dining room table.

With Thanksgiving over, it was always time to set up the pencil Santas. Pat had been collecting and gathering many different Santa from our travels and her shopping excursions and it was always a special time when we set them up every year.

This year, I knew they were going up again. She would have liked that alot. I also set up ten of our Dickens Village pieces. That was always my thing, but we have so many that setting them up over the last few years with all of Pat's health struggles had been tough.

Also over the last two weeks, I have seen my triumvirate of doctors. My cardiologist, my oncologist and our family doctor. What better way to go into the Christmas season than with a clean bill of health.

Two of the three doctors had not known of Pat's passing. That was difficult because each had known her for a long time. My cardiologist was shocked to hear the news. My oncologist had known and was concerned about me and my family doctor was saddened. He, along with all three, expressed how hard Pat fought and how much of a special lady she was. Anyone that had met her knew that.

My family doc had a great story. He was looking at my chart and a smile came to his face. He mentioned how many years ago Pat had given him a $2 bill and told him to keep it for luck. He said he still carries it with him everyday in his wallet and that it would mean a little more now.

Oh, I should mention that my cardiologist said all is well, my oncologist said he can't find anything wrong with me and our family doctor said he'd see me in a year. Those are all good things.

So Christmas is fast approaching and there will likely be less shopping and gift wrapping. It will continue to be tough doing all this without Pat, but by putting a lot of my thoughts down in this blog, it seems to help just a little.

What also helps is my buddy Larry and his wife and daughter. We went out to lunch a week ago and they bought me the German Brewer's Advent Calendar. 24 beers from Germany. I get to open and drink one a day.

Hoping to have tonight's as a celebration of a Bears victory over the Cowboys. We shall see.

Comments

  1. I

    I’m not crying you’re crying😢 .. Miss and love her.. Hugs Fred 💔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment