"Time Marches On"...but very slowly nowadays!

Today is six months since I lost my lovely wife, Pat.

It seems so much longer, especially now that we are social distancing and staying home.  Being unable to socially interact has made the last month difficult for everyone, but being home...alone, has been very tough.

Every day, every hour, thoughts of Pat come to mind and tissues are never out of arms reach.  Now it is not like I sit and weep all day long, though if I did, it would be understandable.

I looked forward to watching Garth Brooks and his wife, Trisha Yearwood, sing for an hour from their home last week.  Home, like we all are during this pandemic.  I enjoyed it...and then Garth sang, "If Tomorrow Never Comes".

 If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes


Start the waterworks.  Moments later, he sang, "The Dance".

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have to miss the dance 


I know his music.  I should have known it was coming.  Maybe I did, but maybe I needed that at that time.  Country music.  I got into it because of my goddaughter, Taylor and my sister, Amy. Convincing a "classic rocker" like me with Aerosmith, Rush, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Jeff Beck, UFO and Rammstein on his Ipod, to give country music a chance wasn't easy, but I thoroughly enjoy it.  I even convinced Pat to give it a go.  She really liked a lot of it, but give her Earth, Wind & Fire and some disco and she would have been happy. (Never really a music person, other than her favorite song, "Fire" by The Ohio Players).

I spend a lot of time binge watching and sitting on our couch nowadays, where the two of us enjoyed The Good Doctor, The Big Bang Theory & Modern Family, among many other shows.  She would have enjoyed the series finale of Modern Family. 

While sitting on the couch, I look around the family room and cannot believe all of the things on the walls and in the room...and every room in the house, that Pat bought, put together and how beautiful she made the entire house look. 

Guys, all the things that the women in our life do is AMAZING!  Just for me, the next time your wife or significant other is talking, while you are doing something else, (usually watching TV), stop and listen.  Appreciate that you have someone who is there for you, no matter what.  We all need that during this time.  I would do anything to have that opportunity again.




Zoom meetings and Google Hangouts are nice ways of staying in touch with the outside world.  I have had numerous get-togethers that way over the last few weeks and plan for another one or two this weekend.

I also have tried to start reading more.  I finally finished, "The Devil in the White City", which I had left sitting on the bookcase half read.  I have a bad habit of starting several books at the same time.

I just started reading "Ghost Rider - Travels on the Healing Road" by Neil Peart, the late drummer of Rush, who recently passed.  Back in 1997, Peart lost his daughter in a car accident and ten months later, his wife to cancer.  He proceeded to hop on his BMW motorcycle and traveled around the country looking for a reason to go on.  Good stuff through the first 100 pages. 

That leads me to ask for your help.  I had planned three or four short trips this year knowing Pat would have wanted me to enjoy my life.  (Much easier said than done).   The first three trips have been cancelled and I am holding out hope for the fourth. 

My question is when I get the chance to travel, do I want to re-visit places Pat and I enjoyed or discover those we had yet to see?

Some are easy.  I need to get to Arizona to see friends of both of ours.  Our goal was to someday get to Italy.  Now that's on me to make plans for that trip. 

Help me out! 

Let's all hope this pandemic clears and we can once again socially gather.  I have missed hugs, and unless you are completely against them after what we are going through, you can expect a nice, long one, when this is over!

Look to the skies today and tell Pat you miss her. 

I do everyday!

Comments