There is No Place Like Home

Hours turn into days, days into weeks, weeks into months.

Since my lovely wife, Pat passed, each day moves slowly while the weeks and months seem to speed by. How can that be?

The quiet and loneliness of each evening seems to drag. Unless I work, there is no real reason to go to sleep. Late night viewing of pictures of me and Pat through Amazon Photos on the big screen bring tears and sadness. Eventually, I realize Pat would be kicking me in the butt saying, "pull it together, I prepared you for this!" She did, but it makes it no easier.

I have attended a few bereavement meetings at the Wellness House in Hinsdale. It's sad how many people are going through very similar losses, but it's good to be together with people who are also dealing with the grief of losing a loved one and it allows us to help each other where we can.

Over the last months before Pat passed away, she had discussed that she wanted her ashes placed in a niche as close to her father as possible at Queen of Heaven Cemetery. When we discussed it, I told her I would see her everyday if I kept them at home, but she didn't want that. I told her I would get a single niche as near her father as possible. She said, "Don't you want to be with me when you die?" I said, pointing skyward, "I will be with you when I die." But, she wanted our ashes to be together for eternity, so I purchased a double niche. These things are not cheap, but I saved 2% by paying with a check instead of a credit card. Pat always taught me how to save money. We placed Pat's ashes in her final resting place last week.

Guys, let's be honest. If it wasn't for the women in our lives, we'd be lost.

While I was going through our life enjoying my job talking and watching sports all the time, Pat was always looking out for the future. How we would be able to make money last and have it stretch into retirement. It was because of her that we had all the wonderful things we do.

Due to that, I think she would be very happy today, as I went to the bank and can now officially say, "I'm a home OWNER!"  The house is paid off.

So many have asked if I would be moving or down-sizing now that I am by myself. Why would I want another mortgage or a townhouse or condo with assessments? Despite the fact that everything in the house, everywhere I look, reminds me of Pat...it reminds me of the good times and the wonderful life we had together.

Sure, years from now I may change my mind, but for now and for the foreseeable future, those who know me know where to find me.

Finally, Sunday, March 8th, is Pat's birthday. Another one of those dates, (wedding anniversary, Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas), that makes me miss Pat even more. I have included a few pictures of her last several birthdays. Much happier times.

Raise a glass towards the skies on the 8th. She would like that.









Comments